As we slowly and smoothly move into the digital space with everyone bumping their favourite local track on their smartphone, the digital retails avail themselves. And as much as its up to the artists to make use of these channels, as the consumer and fan we need to gear ourselves up with how to get to these spaces.
One of the famous (or infamous) ones is iTunes. A couple of gripes have surfaced on getting this digital tool available to the masses, so CHEKA Digital will give you a brief walk-through on how to maneuver this store and carry on supporting your favourite artists when they release music, books, apps and so on.
A few misconceptions to clear up before we carry on:
- iTunes doesn’t ONLY require that one owns an Apple device (Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod) – you can fully utilise this service without an Apple devices.
- You can have an iTunes account WITHOUT a credit card.
- You can use your cheque account to attain an iTunes account.
Now that some of the common misconceptions have been cleared up, lets see how quickly we can setup an iTunes account.
What You’ll Need:
The latest version of iTunes (currently on version 11.5 download here.
1. Click iTunes Store (on the left side of the iTunes window), and pick your country by clicking the appropriate country flag located in the bottom-right corner of the main iTunes Store page.
2. Navigate to the App Store by clicking on App Store from the top navigation bar.
3. Important: Before proceeding to the next step, you must download and install a free application. To find a free application, navigate to the Top Charts column on the right side of the App Store window. Scroll down until you see the list of Free Apps. Select any application by clicking on it.
Then, click Free App underneath the application icon.
4. In the pop-up window, click Create Apple ID.
5. You are directed to the “Welcome to the iTunes Store” screen. Click Continue.
6. You’ll need to read and agree to the iTunes Store Terms & Conditions. Make sure you select the checkbox next to “I have read and agree to these terms and conditions.”
7. Click Continue.
8. Enter your email address, create your password, continue to create and answer your security questions, and then enter your birthday.
9. You can also enter an optional rescue email address. If you frequently change email addresses, this is recommended.
10. Once you are satisfied with the information entered, click Continue.
11. Select None as the payment type.
12. Continue to fill out the required name and address fields.
13. You’ll then see a “Verify your Account” screen. Click Done, and then check your email for a verification email from iTunes Store.
14. Open the email, and click the link enclosed in the email to activate your account.
15. Once you click on the link, the Apple ID website should ask you to sign in with your account name and password.
16. After signing in, you should see that your email address is associated with your Apple ID. A button labeled “Return to the Store” should appear.
17. Once you sign in, you’ll then see the below “Congratulations” screen. Click Start Shopping to be taken to the App Store home page.
Here is a how to video as well.
Now that the Apple ID has been created, you are free to shop. You can change the details at a later stage if you wish to use your cheque account or credit card but for the sake of this run through, here’s how to use iTunes Gift Cards that can be bought at major retailers and FNB Internet Banking App.
Redeem your code on iTunes for Mac or PC
1. Install the latest version of iTunes.
2. Open iTunes and go to the iTunes Store.
3. Click Sign In and enter your Apple ID.
4. Click Redeem under the Quick Links section.
5. Enter your gift or content code and press Return. If you have an iTunes Gift Card, use the 16-digit code on the back of the card that begins with X. In some countries, you can redeem gift cards using your built-in camera.
6. After you redeem a gift card code, your iTunes account balance will update. You might need to sign out and back in for your balance to appear.
If you redeemed a content code, your content will begin downloading.
You are now ready to buy your favourite albums and singles and be able to transfer them to any device you wish.
Written and Compiled By: Siphiwe Zwane (@SDotJR_)
You can look forward to weekly “How To” features.